Monday, September 20, 2010

Trust and Obey = Happy in Jesus

"Trust and Obey, for there is no other way to happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey..." that is how the hymn goes that I learned as a child. I of course back then as a child wanted to be "Happy in Jesus!" And maybe more importantly, "I wanted Jesus to be Happy with me!" So I quickly learned I needed to be obedient! Thankfully over the years as I have grown, I have learned to trust Jesus, and my obedience has changed to be a result of that trusting relationship, not just a striving to be obedient to get the result of happiness!

I love to hear stories of how God's children are obedient to what He is asking them to do! I get excited to know that God gives the equipping, or see the answers to prayers! I love to think over the times He has asked me to do something and I look back over and am so thankful I trusted Him and with His strength obeyed!

I often think obedience should be easy. I get stuck on that word "happy" again and think surely if I am "happy" then what I am being asked will be easy! Yet, obedience comes with a cost. A cost of giving up time and schedules, wrestling the doubt that comes, and maybe fear of what is being asked! Obedience usually requires a step of faith, an action! Whether its being asked to be obedient in waiting (that can be the hardest) or to "go" or "do". I often need to keep in check comparing what God is asking me to do compared to others! I just really need to focus on myself of what God is asking of me!

The 2 verse of the hymn, I don't remembering learning as a child...
"But we never can prove, the delights of His love until all on the altar we lay, For the favor He shows and the joy He bestows, Are for them who will Trust and Obey"!

No comments:

Post a Comment